Saturday, June 13, 2020

Kids' Play | Red Ruby

Red Ruby Dessert is a super easy dessert to make. Plus I have all the ingredients for it. Red dye from eons ago when my confinement nanny used it to make red eggs, tapioca flour as nowadays I'm so into making Brazilian Cheese Balls, coconut milk which I also have in my pantry as I do a lot of Beef rendang, chicken curry, thai green curry etc.

The only ingredient which I need to get my hands on was the water chestnuts.

The Rubies
Water chestnuts
Red food colouring
1/4-1/2 cup tapioca starch

Syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
1 pandan leaf (i skipped this)

Coconut Milk
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 water
1 pandan leaf
1/8 tsp salt (i skipped this too as my coconut milk is salty)

Instructions

1. Cut water chestnuts into about 1cm cubes

2. Add just enough water to cover water chestnuts, then add red food colouring. Drain the chestnuts and place in a mixing bowl. I used a baking tray. Sprinkle tapioca starch over and toss to coat. Keep adding the tapioca starch until all the pieces are completely coated. Once done, put them in a strainer and shake off the excess starch.

3. Start on the syrup. Boil pandan leaf in water for 10mins, add sugar, stir to dissolve. Leave to cool and chill in fridge.

4. Now for the coconut milk, boil coconut milk with panda leaf. Leave to cool and chill in fridge.

5. Bring a big pot of water to boil. Prep an ice water bowl for chilling the rubies after cooking.

6. Put the rubies into the boiling water, stir briefly, boil them for 2-3 mins. Once they float, let them boil for another minute. Scope out the rubies and put them into the ice water. Strain them.

7. Serve rubies in a bowl of coconut milk and add the sugar syrup. The ratio is 2 parts syrup and 1 part coconut milk. You may top with jackfruit if you like. But for me, I didn't have any....so the kids just had the plain red rubies with coconut milk.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...